Eagle Project 2000


5/7/2000

I have started the frame repair to the rear section of my eagle. The tubing over the engine has been removed and a raised bed platform will be constructed in it's place.

6/15/2000

The roof has been raised 6.5", the raise took the better part of a day and with angle iron, clamps and a portapower the job went without incident.

pic

pic

pic

pic

pic

pic

pic

 

I have solved my problem of bending 1.5" square tubing, while handling some 24' lengths of 1.5" x .750" x .075" rectangular tubing I noticed that it would bow easily when lifted from the center. I took an old 22.5" rim that was on my scrap heap and mounted it like a dual on the the left front of the bus leaving the tire and rim in place. Then I welded a 1.5" x 2" x 2" long piece of tube at the 9:00 position at a wide flat area near the center of the rim for an anchor point. Place the end of the 1.5" x .750" x .075" rectangular tubing in the anchor point and bend the tube around the top of the rim. I made the first tube to match the outer radius of the part that was being replaced, then bend a second tube to fit on the inside radius of the the first tube. Then I clamped the two tubes together and mig welded both top and bottom seams between the tubes producing a 1.5"x 1.5" square radius tube. The 1.5" x .750" x .075" rectangular tubing bends with very little concave or kinking.

Once welded together they are stronger than the original having a combined vertical wall thickness of .300" and a horizontal of .150". The original metric tube that was used for the radius parts of the Eagle frame is of very thin gauge, possibly to accommodate the bending process. Using this method to make radiuses I can now produce all the parts that I will need for the price of the tubing and a couple of hours work.

pic

pix